Sunday, November 23, 2008

Altered Tins

In the previous post I gave some pointers on how to alter tins. I thought it would be fun to show some of my altered tins that I have made over the years. I don't even have one of my own. Seems like I never make anything that I keep. But that's fine by me, it's the creating that I love.

These were either made as gifts or commissioned for gifts.



What I find important to the design of these altered tins is to finish off each edge. Notice the rick rack trim on the tin above. And hide the seams by covering with ribbon. It makes a nice transition as well as adding texture.



I think my "huge flower accent" days may be behind me. LOL It's not only clothing design fashions that come and go. Any other kind of design also has items that go in and out of fashion.



I love the Christmas tin I made for my sister and her family. Inside are 10 "file folders". Each one is decorated and has a photo mat to place the Christmas picture for the current year. This tin will represent 10 years worth of Christmases. And this year is the first one that will include a new baby granddaughter.




I like the idea of making these tins utilitarian as well as beautiful to look at. This tin above has a matching address/calendar book. The book was $2 at Walmart and I recovered it to match.

What do all of these tins have in common? The icing on the cake: RIBBON! I had a friend tell me (a guy!) that these tins look like beautiful wedding cakes. The ribbon is the final touch that pulls all of the colors and textures together. As well as adding height to the project.

Notice how all of the ribbons on a tin do not necessarily match each other, but they do match the tin overall. Mix patterns and textures, widths and shapes. All of those extra little details keep your eyes moving over the piece and your brain engaged with the piece.

Think you can leave out a detail and no one will notice? Guess what, your viewer may not be able to verbalize what is missing, but the eyes are searching to pull the piece together. That's why we feel satisfied and happy when we see something that pleases us visually. It all comes together. That also accounts for why we can look at something and know that "something is missing" and not be able to pinpoint it.

Don't you just love how our brains work?

No comments: